On Tuesday, February 18, we will kick off the first of our quarterly nonprofit workshop series for 2014 with " The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Path to a High-Performing Board," which will include a panel discussion on best Board practices.
Why is an effective Board so critical? Well, in the words of a major philanthropic funder in Southern California, Weingart Foundation, "a strong, engaged and knowledgeable board is a critical factor in a nonprofit organization’s ability to be effective, self-sustaining and achieve impact."
- have a clear understanding of how they can contribute to the success of the organization
- function in constructive partnership with their chief executive and management
- solicit funds for, and make personally meaningful financial contributions to the organization
- understand the organization’s financial position and regularly review financial reports
- have a committee structure to meet the needs of the organization (e.g. – audit, executive)
- evaluate the chief executive officer’s performance on an annual basis
- meet frequently, with strong attendance
- are committed to continually improving their performance
For a lively discussion on Board best practices and challenges, join us on Tuesday, February 18.