The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) requests applications for the Meat and Poultry Processing Expansion Program (MPPEP). This program provides grants to help eligible meat processors expand their capacity and provide other assistance to maintain and improve the food and agricultural supply chain.
USDA Rural Development is making $150 million of American Rescue Plan Act funding available through the MPPEP. USDA is offering grants of up to $25 million each to expand processing capacity through a variety of activities, including but not limited to construction, expansion of existing facilities and acquisition of equipment.
WHEN IS THE APPLICATION DUE?
The application must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 11, 2022.
WHO IS AN ELIGIBLE BUSINESS?
- Sole proprietor businesses or other entities that are expanding or want to expand their capacity in meat and poultry processing
- The eligible applicant must be a meat processor or have a plan to expand meat processing capacity
- Check eligibility here
WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM GRANT AMOUNT?
The maximum award amount is $25 million, or 20 percent of total project costs, whichever is less.
WHERE CAN GRANT FUNDS BE USED?
The grant can be used to expand processing capacity by supporting activities such as:
- Expanding existing processing facilities or building new processing facilities
- Hiring, training and retention of the workforce
- Purchasing, installing or developing equipment and technology
- Assistance with packaging and labeling requirements
- Upgrading facilities or equipment to protect food safety
- Utilizing grant funding to meet higher standards for the measure of safety and inspection
- Payment for voluntary grading services on value-added processed products
- Installing climate-smart equipment that reduces greenhouse gas emissions, increases efficiency in water use, improves air or water quality, etc.
WHERE CAN ELIGIBLE BUSINESSES APPLY?
See the link here. New users may be required to register before applying.
HOW CAN ELIGIBLE BUSINESSES APPLY?
Please review USDA Rural Development’s Application Checklist here. The application template can be found here.
Eligible businesses may expect to receive the award notification by Sept. 30, 2022, or later in the year. Meat processors should review their eligibility to take advantage of this grant offered by USDA.
For assistance in understanding the eligibility criteria or other details of the program, reach out to GHJ’s tax advisors.