LOS ANGELES, CA (June 24, 2021) – GHJ, a leading accounting and advisory firm, is excited to announce three outstanding nominees for the Los Angeles Business Journal’s (LABJ’s) 2021 Women’s Leadership Awards:
- Lizbeth Nevarez, Managing Director and Nonprofit Tax Leader, finalist for “Community Impact Advocate”
- Mari-Anne Kehler, Partner and Chief Strategy Officer, nominated for “Executive of the Year”
- Frances Ellington, Principal and State and Local Tax Leader, nominated for “Woman to Watch”
“We are extremely proud of Lizbeth, Mari-Anne and Frances,” said GHJ Managing Partner Tom Barry. “These women lead by example both in their communities and at the firm. We are incredibly grateful to have them as part of our GHJ family and to motivate others to #BeMore.”
The awards honor women of outstanding achievement in the Los Angeles business community. All three women were nominated for their inspiring leadership in the firm, the accounting industry and the community. GHJ is dedicated to helping employees and clients pursue their passions, build thriving businesses and create a better future.
LIZBETH NEVAREZ: Making Her Mark on the Community
Lizbeth is a dedicated volunteer and trailblazer in the Los Angeles nonprofit community, a champion of women in the workplace and a nonprofit business leader.
- Lizbeth is a passionate volunteer and activist and a frequent guest speaker and thoughtware provider on nonprofit issues.
- She dedicated to mentoring others, especially minorities and women.
- Lizbeth is a dynamic leader in the Los Angeles community and has dedicated both her career and personal life to helping under-served communities and providing equal access to minorities for leadership opportunities.
- Lizbeth’s service has had a ripple effect, which has impacted the Los Angeles community for the better.
- Lizbeth helped launch and now serves as Secretary of GHJ Foundation, GHJ’s vehicle for purposeful and proactive giving to its extended “family” – the community.
MARI-ANNE KEHLER: Dedicated to a Better World for All
Mari-Anne was nominated for her deep support of diversity and women’s empowerment efforts, commitment to improving the workplace, dedication to the client experience, thought leadership and mentorship activities.
- A longtime advocate for inclusion, diversity and equity, especially for the disability community, women and people of color, Mari-Anne uses her platform to create a better workplace for all and is a Certified Diversity Professional.
- Mari-Anne continues to challenge norms and advocate for change, including helping launch and serving as Strategist for GHJ Foundation.
- For decades, she has been a disability awareness advocate, consistently creating opportunities for change in her community and demonstrating a lifetime of dedication to community service.
- She uses her influence to make positive changes in the workplace and within the Los Angeles community and is fueled by her desire to make the world a better place.
FRANCES ELLINGTON: Motivation to #BeMore
Frances Ellington was nominated for her strong leadership, mentorship of other women and contributions to the accounting industry and the community.
- Active both at GHJ and in the community, Frances has earned the respect of everyone she interacts with and is highly regarded in the Los Angeles area.
- She is a leader in Los Angeles, contributing her time and expertise to several organizations and efforts.
- Frances is a thought leader, subject-matter expert and dedicated mentor.
- She is a sought after speaker on many state and local tax issues, and her knowledge and expertise are invaluable to GHJ and the organizations and boards she supports.
“All three of these women are powerhouses not only at GHJ but in the Los Angeles business and nonprofit communities,” Tom said. “Our firm is a better company because of their influence, insights and leadership.”
GHJ is an accounting and advisory firm that specializes in nonprofit, food and beverage, entertainment and media and health and wellness companies. Previous recipient of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Employee Champion For Life Work Harmony Award and named a “Best Places to Work” by the Los Angeles Business Journal eight times since 2008, GHJ is passionate about helping clients and its people #BeMore by focusing on building thriving businesses and creating a better future.
GHJ works as a business advocate for its clients — providing personalized service and building long-term relationships to help position our clients for growth. Through its affiliation with HLB International, a global network of independent professional accounting firms and business advisers, GHJ is able to partner with other top firms across major cities throughout the U.S. and the world. GHJ’s audit, tax and advisory teams leverage the HLB network to better serve its clients and give clients access to member firms in over 158 countries across the globe and over 775 offices worldwide.
Also ranked as a top-20 largest accounting firm on the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Book of Lists, GHJ has 15 partners and more than 160 staff members that serve over 3,000 clients. GHJ is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the AICPA Governmental Audit Quality Center (GAQC), the California Society of CPAs and the California Association of Nonprofits (CalNonprofit).